Tuesday, May 24, 2011

From USA to SA

We have successfully landed in South Africa, 26 hours later. Lexi: the food was best on the flight from Amsterdam to Cape Town. Our lunch meal was a chicken with a nice glazed mango fruit sauce and a side of rice. Also came with cous cous and salad, bread and a slice of presidente brie and for dessert an apricot mango mousse with chocolate bits on top, choice of drink on the side. Movies were also a pleasant selection, I watched Harry Potter, True Grit, Blue Valentine and various TV shows. Also learned a bit of Spanish through the interactive language game.

When we arrived we were greeted by Aaron (our professor), Alan (the leader of the study abroad program in South Africa) and Jane (Logistics), I’m sure we looked stunning. We are staying at the Riverview lodge, which is an exchange student long-term housing building through UCT.  We arrived, got settled into our rooms and took a shower. Showers were interesting, the temperature went from super hot to very cold every 5 seconds. We all got a good laugh out of it. Then we went to bed around the time that we should have been eating dinner in the US so it took me a while to fall asleep and it was difficult to stay asleep after that. But I will sleep better tonight.

Today we became oriented with the town and learned about the surrounding area. The population in Cape Town is around 5.2 million, with 50% colours, 30% blacks, 18% whites and 2% other (From what I remember). There are about 8 different languages spoken here with Afrikaans being the main. We tried some good foods such as sambosas, and cook sisters. Pictures below. Yum. We had a delicious South African traditional dinner tonight and it was delicious. Unfortunately I didn’t have my camera and could not take a picture (I seem to be taking more pictures of food than surrounding areas lately...).



It is uncomfortable being in a different country and not understanding the rules completely (like what side of the road to drive on...). Is it weird if I smile at people while walking through the streets? In Minneapolis I just smile or nod at everyone I pass, regardless of race, gender or culture. I am still trying to vibe out if that is okay here. It is hard travelling in a large group because we are tourists and we stand out. Not saying I don’t LOVE this group, it’s just different when people stare at you because we are obviously American, with our North Face backpacks and large camera bags. I am trying to figure out if that’s just me being paranoid or if people are actually staring. Aaron and I talked about my odd constant need to feel accepted so perhaps that is what I am doing in this country, wanting to be accepted by the people.

Tonight we got to listen to a variety of South African music genres from Alan’s former student DJ, who’s name is also Aaron. It was relaxing. Combined with the after affects of jet lag it was almost too relaxing. DJ Aaron said he would email us some songs so I will have to post a few on here. Or perhaps I can find one on youtube.  Tomorrow we are learning about politics and culture, touring the Cape of Good Hope, visiting the District Six Museum (apartheid related) and visiting the Iziko Slave Museum. Free time at night, proving to be an adventurous day.

Chelsey



1 comment:

  1. SAHWEET! So jealous of the food. Have a blast! Learn and grow everyday.

    ReplyDelete