Thursday, May 26, 2011

Histories, racial divides, internal struggles


Today we learned about the history of South Africa, which is surprisingly very recent. There are specifics that I could divulge into but I will try to sum it up in a couple sentences (ish). The Dutch were the first to colonize South Africa followed by the British and eventually the intermixing of French and Germans. The main indigenous group of the region was the Khoisans.  Of course, the history is much like the European invasion of America where the Khoisans were not too excited to have foreigners coming into the country telling them a different way to carry out their lives. Slavery existed in South Africa; the Europeans brought many of the slaves from Indonesia and Malaysia. We went to the slave museum and learned that slaves were ripped of their identities, having their names changed to offensive words such as vegetables or the months that they arrived in SA. The abolition of slavery took place with ordinance 50 in 1828.

We will be learning more tomorrow about the final stages of SA’s history from 1910-present tomorrow (Xhosa and democracy).  It was interesting to learn about slavery and compare it to my knowledge of America. From what I can tell, and I will have to clarify this, there has been no extreme racial tension between the race of the slaves in SA and the inhabitants of the original region. Yet there is and was still this apparent divide between the Blacks of the country and the white Europeans. I find it interesting that in America, racial tension between whites and blacks came from slavery whereas here, it has seemed to come from colonization. Yet no matter the source, it has been between white and blacks. I find that interesting. Is it because of the obvious visual color difference that just leads us humans to naturally separate ourselves? I haven’t figured this one out yet.

The divide between blacks and whites is a recent problem and continuing solution. The apartheid (separation of blacks and whites) just ended in 1994. That is in my lifetime. In 1966, District 6 was banned to Blacks to inhabit the area. That is in my parent’s lifetime. The government declared District 6 a white area only and all of the blacks had to leave their homes and all the buildings were demolished. Just swept out. And then no one else really took up shop in those areas. I cannot believe that happened, that kind of discrimination. It makes me skeptical on the feelings of those around me. Are there elders or children in the SA community who see me as a white person and feel disgust or hatred? SA’s history is so recent and everyone seems to be trying to overcome this struggle but I do not know where everyone is during this progress. It has proved to be a struggle with me to interact within the community. At the bakery yesterday some of us were looking at the delicious options and the black woman behind the counter gave us attitude walked away and said if you don’t want to buy anything don’t come to our bakery, and then rolled her eyes.  I am not sure if it was because we were white or if we were American or both. But I felt uncomfortable and scared. For this is one of the first times I am a minority in a community and I don’t know how to process. It is hard for me not to take it personally. It is hard when I accept them and they don’t accept me.. But I have to remember their wounds are fresh, their history is recent. I cannot imagine what it was like living in the United States after the abolition of slavery and what the racial divide was like then. Many might still be bitter, annoyed, confused, and struggling.
District 6 before it was considered a "white group area" (1966)

District 6 after 


All I can do now is be respectful to others, as my parents have taught me. To treat everyone respectfully no matter race, culture, background, gender, height or weight. I know that as I interact with this community I will be satisfied knowing I am doing just that, even if those around me haven’t reached that point or do not want to reach that point.  I need to let go and understand that I cannot control what others feel towards me, I need to not take it so personal. They have nothing against me; they have been through some intense hard times. They need to grieve and go through their own internal process to deal with the hardships they have experienced. I need to be the best version of myself and that alone should allow me to be satisfied with my time spent here.

No comments:

Post a Comment